Arvada Independence Day Celebration
This year, Arvada’s Independence Day Celebration returns to its roots, focusing on the core of the holiday--fireworks! For the past few months, the Festivals Commission, City staff including the Police Department, and City Council have reviewed the 4th of July event in terms of resource allocation, staffing, and volunteers. In recent years, organizing a day-long event has become increasingly difficult. Problems included:
- Insufficient volunteers
- Police department staffing levels are impacted by the amount of resources needed to manage the event and surrounding neighborhoods adequately. The PD staffing schedule is compressed for the event, limiting available resources days prior to and after the event.
- Minimal community vendors and food vendors interested in participating
- Limited parking
- Conflicts with the surrounding neighborhood
- Inability to secure sufficient traffic barricades and cones due to high level of construction in the metropolitan area
After much conversation and based upon the recommendation of the Festivals Commission, the City has made the decision to return the 4th of July celebration to its original intent--a display of fireworks in the evening to celebrate America’s independence.
Things to Note
- Gates open to vehicles at 7 p.m.; Fireworks begin approximately 9 p.m.
- Free parking on a first-come, first-served basis
- W. 58th Ave. will shut down to traffic beginning 8 p.m.
- Handicap parking available in the Stenger northeast parking lot
- No Recreational Vehicles allowed
- Only propane grills allowed
- No alcohol, personal fireworks, or pets are allowed
City of Arvada Communication Manager Maria VanderKolk, 720-898-7507